Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Journey

How we came to living in the Azores - Faial.

We are South Africans who lived in Johannesburg, worked a 9-5 job and in our spare time we built a Wharram 26ft catamaran (That would have been an excellent blog) On completion of this project we quit the rat race and sailed the South African coast. Stopping in to Knysna, we fell in love with the place and lived there on our boat  for some years. After living on this small boat we felt we needed something bigger and found a beautiful 28ft Van der stadt, being a monohull it felt bigger and at least had some head room.

Later on we moved to the UK for work. The country was very beautiful but this was not a place we planned to settle in.
December 2006 was cold and we felt a tad miserable and just had to get out , so we escaped to the book shop. I picked up a travel magazine and happened to open on a page about the Azores, I new instantly I had to go there. Two weeks later I had booked a flight, without Nathan, this was a week before Xmas. On  my arrival all I could see was this small island in the middle of the ocean, I felt very emotional and I asked myself what the *#! am I doing here?? When the plane landed everyone clapped, then I wanted to cry.
Six months later I brought Nathan back to Faial. He fell in love with the place and we were only 5 min out of the airport. The rest is history.

House after
There were not many houses for sale at the time and we bought a little neglected house, a house that was built after the 1957 volcano. They called them volcano houses. After not working with our hands for a while we were up for a project. The garden was over grown and more like an open field, the roof, the floor, the windows etc needed remodelling. Looking back on our pictures a lot has changed but then life is like that too, always evolving daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment